Thursday, July 11, 2024

What Happened to Alan Bono? Where is Arne Cheyne Johnson Now?


Alan Bono Murder – Welcome to a chilling journey into a real-life courtroom drama that sent shockwaves through the nation. In this article, we’ll unravel the perplexing tale of Alan Bono, whose tragic demise became the centerpiece of a groundbreaking TV show. “The Devil on Trial” is a gripping Netflix documentary that plunges into the annals of the 1981 murder case, the first in the United States to introduce the novel defense of demonic possession. This hair-raising story, rife with supernatural elements and famous paranormal investigators, has etched itself into the collective memory, inspiring various entertainment adaptations.

Who was Alan Bono, and What Happened to Him

Who was Alan Bono, and What Happened to Him?

Alan Bono, a man with a life entangled with the mysterious and macabre, was the manager of the Brookfield Boarding Kennels. He also played the role of landlord to Arne Cheyenne Johnson and Deborah “Debbie” Glatzel. The fateful events began to unfold on an ominous day, February 16, 1981. Arne had called in sick at work, leading him to spend the day at the kennels with his girlfriend, Debbie. The kennels also hosted Arne’s two sisters, Wanda and Janice Johnson, alongside Debbie’s cousin, Mary.

As the manager of the kennels, Alan regaled the group with tales from his life. A seemingly ordinary day he turned sinister when they had lunch at a local bar, with Alan footing the bill and consuming copious amounts of alcohol. Upon their return to the kennels, the atmosphere grew tense. A skilled handyman, Arne had repaired Alan’s stereo, which then blared at an ear-splitting volume.

Who Killed Alan Bono, and What was the Reason Behind Killing

Who Killed Alan Bono, and What was the Reason Behind Killing?

Alan’s behavior took a disturbing turn at this point. He urged everyone to join him in his apartment, but his demeanor, marked by aggressive fist-pounding, frightened everyone. Those present at the scene described Alan’s reluctance to let them go, eventually leading to a terrifying confrontation. Alan seized her as Mary attempted to leave, leaving Debbie to mediate the escalating tension. Arne, responding to the dire situation, reappeared on the scene.

According to witnesses, particularly Debbie Glatzel, Arne Johnson committed the gruesome act. Arne began to growl like an animal in a bewildering twist, seemingly disconnected from his surroundings. Moments later, Alan lay on the apartment floor, gravely wounded by multiple knife thrusts, succumbing to his injuries hours later. The bloody encounter shocked the community, and the mystery of Alan Bono’s death haunted Brookfield.

The question loomed large: who had killed Alan Bono, and what drove them to such a horrifying act? According to the accounts, Arne Johnson, in a state of apparent possession, repeatedly stabbed Alan with a 5-inch knife. The case took an even more surreal turn, invoking the notion that Arne might not have been in control of his actions but instead influenced by an evil force. This hostility was linked to the exorcism of Debbie’s brother, David Glatzel, the previous year, suggesting that the demon that had tormented David had transferred its grip onto Arne. This horrifying twist defied conventional understanding.

Investigation and Arrest

Investigation and Arrest

The trial of Arne Johnson for the murder of Alan Bono commenced on October 28, 1981, marking the beginning of a legal battle that would make history. Initially, the defense advanced the audacious plea of not guilty by demonic possession. However, the presiding judge, Robert Callahan, summarily dismissed this defense. In a landmark decision, Judge Callahan declared that demonic possession could not be substantiated in a court of law due to its lack of empirical evidence. The defense relentlessly shifted tactics, arguing that Arne’s actions had been acts of self-defense stemming from the events that transpired before the fatal stabbing.

Arne Johnson faced a charge of first-degree murder, a grave accusation that gripped the nation’s attention. The trial unfolded for almost a month, concluding on November 24, 1981. After 15 grueling hours of deliberations, the jury reached a verdict, finding Arne guilty of first-degree manslaughter. The sentence was pronounced on December 18, 1981, requiring Arne to serve 10 to 20 years in prison.

Yet, it was not long before Arne’s case took another perplexing turn. His impeccable behavior behind bars led to an early release after serving just five years. This outcome raised numerous questions about the nature of his actions that fateful day and the integrity of the possession defense.

Where is Arne Cheyenne Johnson Now

Where is Arne Cheyenne Johnson Now?

After his release from prison, Arne Cheyenne Johnson’s life took a different trajectory. His unexpected early release was attributed to his exemplary behavior while incarcerated. The chief of parole, Hans Fjelman, extolled his conduct as that of an “exemplary inmate” with “no negative factors” affecting his mental state.

During his time in prison, Arne married Debbie Glatzel, the woman he had stood by throughout the tumultuous legal battle. Their union bore witness to the birth of two children. These significant life events marked a new chapter in Arne’s life, one significantly different from the haunting specter of the murder trial.

However, the details of Arne Johnson’s life post-release remain mysterious. The limited information available suggests that he embarked on a career in landscaping. This modest occupation starkly contrasts the harrowing events of that fatal day in 1981. Arne’s life underwent a profound transformation, moving away from the turmoil and notoriety of the courtroom and into a quieter existence in the world of gardening and landscaping.

As for Debbie Glatzel, her journey took a different course. Tragically, she passed away in 2021, leaving behind a legacy forever linked to the enigmatic events of that turbulent period. Throughout her life, she steadfastly supported Arne, even going so far as to marry him while he was incarcerated, a testament to the enduring bond that formed amidst the chaos of the trial.

While Arne’s release from prison marked the end of one chapter, the mystery surrounding the events of that day in 1981 continues to captivate the public imagination. The supernatural elements, the involvement of famous paranormal investigators, and the groundbreaking use of demonic possession as a defense have ensured that the case remains an enduring enigma that defies simple explanation.

In conclusion, the Netflix documentary ‘The Devil on Trial‘ and the case of Alan Bono’s murder continue to serve as a potent reminder of human behavior’s complexities and the unexplained’s enduring allure. Arne Cheyenne Johnson’s life, post-release, has transitioned into a quieter existence, while the echoes of that fateful day in 1981 reverberate through the annals of legal history and the realms of the supernatural. The tale of Alan Bono’s murder and the enigmatic defense of demonic possession persist as a haunting enigma, challenging our understanding of the inexplicable.

Also Read: Rachel Good Missing Update: Did They Find Rachel? – Crime Junkie Podcast

Nyra Miller
Nyra Miller
Nyra Miller is the Senior News Writer at Spoiler TV and an avid movie, comic book, and television fan who spends considerable money on collectibles. Aside from being an amazing mother to his two daughters and dog lover, Nyra also loves going to the gym regularly, drinking fine coffee, and enjoying doughnuts with gusto.

Related articles

Stay Connected


Latest posts